domingo, 10 de julho de 2016

Engagement Report 8 – Dual Hull Brutix




One of these days I found myself in Drone Lands. Checked map and went to mess around in an alliance that tends to be very active. When going to very active places I have a strategy. Keep 1 toon with cloaked eyes near the entry point for the pocket I’m going to poke, in order to see if I’m getting camped and to insure that my entry/exit point is clear. My other toon goes into the pocket getting noticed but without worrying too much about engaging inside the carebears pocket.

Upon my arrival there was a mass exodus to local stations, with 3 systems having around 20 in local each. It was feeling like a mini-Provi area… Carriers were hugging the stations, people would undock in ships, only to re-dock and undock in something different. This is pretty much a sign that the locals have no idea on what to do and that an FC is being called in coms to guide them.

Eventually some brave fellas started to kite from stations towards me, in order to catch me. This is a sign that ranks are getting sorted and that some coordination among my prey is getting achieved. Now I need to try achieving a very delicate balance. I need them to feel confident, but still mostly disorganized, while being able to make some distance from the main fleet being assembled. Once I saw that local in my entry system was rising by 10 and that people were being brought by jump bridges, it was time to leave and make them chase me a bit.

I jump out from their pocket as 1 stiletto tries to catch me. Already outside the pocket 1 or 2 jumps away, I wait on a gate far their entry point, while also trying to keep cloaky eyes on their movements. Right now, my backup Brutix is more important as an intel tool rather than anything else! My local climbs by 10 and I notice my foes have a spearhead of around 6 tacklers, 1 Caracal and 1 Cerberus, but their main fleet seems to still be away, unsure for how long though. I notice that ships warping to several gates, so they do not know where I am exactly. I just need to wait a bit and hopefully they’ll get to me fast.

A Caracal appears on my gate, and having limited time I engage. Yes, I know he can take the careful approach and jump out, but my opportunity window is closing by the second, so I just do it and hope he gets overconfident. Also, I can easily tank half a dozen interceptors for 1 minute and jump out If needed.

He aggresses me back. Cool! My Tank Brutix can kill a Caracal fast enough without backup, so I keep my DPS Brutix cloaked in a strategic place for intel. The Caracal dies and a Stiletto scrams me while all other frigates only long point me. I consume my Improved Drop Booster, try to keep him at range 4km in order to have better tracking and kill it fast enough. The Cerberus had warped at range and is closing in. I overload my MWD and try to catch him. He noticed the Brutix trying to ram him and warped off. 

About now local climbs by more 15, up to a total of 25, so I align out, hit my MJD, warp off and cloak. I had not managed to kill anything really juicy like the Cerberus, but having killed 2 ships in such a limited window of opportunity felt nice. Now I was camped and had to wait.

It seems that I had roamed here recently, and some of the locals still remembered me as well as the fact that I was a cloaky. Being a cloaky is really handy and it does annoy my foes a lot too. Me and my foes both smacked local a bit, but no one was really offensive so it was all good. My foes decided that isk making was important than camping me, so they went their way and so did I.

I headed out to another pocket that seemed to have some activity and used somewhat the same tactic. Kept DPS Brutix in the entry to the pocked cloaked and roamed a bit with my Tank Brutix. I quickly noticed these guys were nearly not as active and my previous foes. Local had about 5 guys, saw 1 PVE Paladin in an escalation site on D-Scan (therefore I needed combat probes to get him and I had none) and mostly some mining ships on POSes.

Here I made a decision that would eventually be costly… Even though I did not feared much getting camped or having a large fleet amassed to kill me, I opted to keep my backup DPS Brutix in the same spot, instead of trying to get both ships closer. Reason was mostly to avoid intel but then again, is always a delicate balance. Have both ships nearby but let your foes know what you have, or have them a bit further apart and manage to get a good surprise effect?

As I’m moving around, an Ashimmu and a Crow land on my gate and aggress! Before I decided to aggress I needed some quick intel. The icon notifications above the HUD are wonderful. They allow you to know who’s doing want to you, and by how much. By hoovering on my icon notification I saw that he had 2 Nosferatus on me and only 1 Web and a Long Point. This pretty much means that:
1 – He has somewhat “limited” neuting power, even taking in account the nasty bonus it get to nosferatus and such. It would still be a LOT worse if he had 2 neutralizers.
2 - By having only 1 web I can probably still keep range control on him, applying blaster DPS decently.
3 – By having only 1 web he’s going to have a capacitor booster… Combined with 2 nosferatus it means that my own Energy Neutralizer is probably a waste on him and I should probably worry more about saving my own capacitor by not activating my own Neut. 

I decide to engage, sending out ECM drones and not activating my neutralizer to save capacitor. At same time I try to bring my backup DSP Brutix a couple jumps out. While fighting I realize it’s an active tank Ashimmu… That’s bad… My Tank Brutix has somewhat limited DPS to break an active tank ship, especially when I’m on the wrong end of Capacitor warfare. I look at my other screen to see if my 2nd Brutix is still far and…

..And the damn ship is still cloaked!!! Oh come on! I failed to decloak him properly and warp. I decloak him and warp outgate.

Fight is ongoing and the Ashimmu is doing fine. I still have lots of tank left, but capacitor going down. Soon I’ll be dry. I look at my other screen again to see how long for my backup toon and…

… AND THE FREAKING SHIP IS STILL YET CLOAKED AGAIN!!! SERIOUSLY?!?! FREAKING KIDDING ME?! Did I just messed decloaking my ship 2 times in a row? I’m starting to think that I should lose this fight...

I FINALLY decloak it and set my way. Pleniers is about to die, so I jump in in hopes of saving him and…. No one is at the in gate…

W……T…….F……!!!!!!!!!

This is where another interesting feature comes into play… Local pocket has many connections. All nearby systems are connected to 3 or 4 other systems, so my autopilot pretty much messed up, meaning I jumped in the right system from a wrong location, far from the engagement. I have to make YET another warp.

As for my Tank Brutix fighting the Ashimmu, things are not going too well. Even though I did managed to jamm the Ashimmu 3 times, bloodlust was kicking and I did NOT wanted to warp off.  I still had a last resort in the form of the MJD, as long as I had 200 GJ of Capacitor. That limit or “point-of-not-getting-away” was crossed as Rtb was jumping into local. I decided to not bail, only to realise too late that my backup had jumped into system but from a gate far away. Things got worse as a Paladin and a Svipul come in, providing backup to the Ashimmu, increasing the damage by a lot. The Paladin alone made 20% damage and was on grid for the shortest time.

Pleniers dies and a few seconds after Rtb arrives. Hell, the Ashimmu is already in bad shape so I go for him. I would not leave without my prize! The increased DPS from Rtb is enough to break the Ashimmu’s tank and he dies. Under fire from the Paladin and long pointed by the Crow and Svipul, I activate my MJD to bail.

Even now I managed to mess up. I had not aligned to absolutely nothing before activating my MJD, so once I teleport 100km away, I am not ready to warp off and Crow starts coming at me moving 5000+m/s. Geez… is it possible for me to mess up any more stuff?! There is an anomaly near my direction, so warp to it at 100km range. As I land I try to warp off immediately, but the Svipul comes in at 30km away from me and long points me!

OH COME ON!!!!!! NEED I TO BE PUNISHED FOR ALL LITTLE MISTAKE I MAKE?!

Ok, I have no choice, I need to kill it. I Overload all my mids, and rush towards him. The svipul pilot, either not realizing the threat or forgetting to overload his MWD or changing to Propulsion mode, is caught by me and dies shortly after. Seems like I was managing to turn all this mess around a bit.

Afterwards they try to catch me with 2 Cerberus and 1 Onyx, but the fact there are so many connections between systems plays against them this time, and I’m able to escape easily. Still pondered on trying to kill one of them, but my only alive Brutix was fairy damaged and was getting late for me. I returned back to Thera and called it a day.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário